The National Gallery of the Faroe Islands is situated only a few moments walk from the city centre. A short walk from the harbour to the main street and a further walk along the river will lead you through the park Viðarlundin where many sculptures by Faroese artists are passed by on the way to the museum.
The National Gallery of the Faroe Islands is part of the old Listaskálin from 1970, which in 1993 was enlarged by a new building designed by J. P. Gregoriussen and Niels F. Truelsen. The buildings are 1,600 m2 in all.
The Faroese Art Society, which was established during the war, was the beginning to an actual public collection of Faroese art. National Gallery of the Faroe Islands' collection contains the works which The Art Society has collected over periods of time and the ones the museum itself has bought. Today the museum counts approximately 2000 works frome the oldest kept works in the 1840's to the newest genre of art. Among them is the largest collection of the works by S. Joensen-Mikines and principal works by important Faroese artists.
As a public granted institution it is the purpose and duty of the National Gallery of the Faroe Islands to collect and preserve Faroese visual art and to carry out research and promote it as a part of Faroese cultural inheritance. The promotion is made by book releases, research projects and by exhibiting the Faroese art in the Faroe Islands and abroad. At intervals foreign exhibitions take place that puts Faroese art in perspective and in a global context.